Re: Car Battery Tips

If I did all that I'd never have time to drive my car, truck, boat, car,

> car, wife's car!(lol) > > > > Top Ten Starting Battery Tips > > > > 1. Wear glasses when working with a battery, because it might > > explode. > > > > 2. Keep your non-sealed battery properly filled with distilled water > > and the top clean. The plates must be covered at all times. > > > > 3. To prevent permanent sulfation when not in use and especially in > > hot weather, keep your battery continuously connected to a "smart" or > > maintenance charger or recharge your battery at least one per week. > > Cheap unregulated "trickle" chargers will kill your battery. > > > > 4. In hot climates, keep your battery as cool as possible and > > non-sealed Low Maintenance or sealed AGM batteries are recommended. > > > > 5. When buying a replacement battery, be sure it matches your > > charging system & Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) requirements, physically > > fits, and is fresh. > > > > 6. Keep the battery cable mating surfaces and terminals free from > > corrosion. > > > > 7. Avoid a deep discharge of your battery. This could kill it. > > > > 8. For longer battery life, do not add acid or additives and keep > > your battery securely fastened. > > > > 9. Use chargers (or settings) that will recharge batteries over eight > > to ten hours. > > > > 10. Thaw out a frozen battery before attempting to jump or recharge > > it and always jump batteries positive-to-positive and > > negative-to-negative. For negative grounded electrical systems, the > > last negative connection should be to the frame or engine block away > > from the battery. > > > > For additional battery information, please go to > >

M.K.

Since I work for a dealer I don't know if that scanner can get the fault codes in the CCU system. Some have said Auto Zone and such places scan a car for free. Stop by and see if they can scan address 46. From what you mentioned it could just be your window motor/control unit is going bad. If you go used make sure all the numbers match as besides the part number their are other codes that must match so ALL the window motors and CCU can talk the same language.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for the info. I have been to autozone and yes they do provide that service. The scanner they use is one sold in their store, I think it is an Acutron. I have had my Passat and my Honda in to have them read the codes but in both cases they were Engine/emission related. I will do some further research to see what I can find. Thanks for the valuable info.

Reply to
M.K.

I think the most vital battery tip in VWs is this:

In my 2001 Golf I recently realized the battery is not a sealed, no-maintenance battery, as its appearance suggests. The top is sealed with thin, cellophane-like tape that is easily removed, revealing fill caps for each cell. The fluid levels were way down on many cells. Checking these levels at least at every periodic maintenance interval will save you a lot of money in battery replacement costs.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg