Re: digifant fuel pump noise -help

Does the fuel pump get very warm after running for about 30 minutes? I would check the fuel pressure regulator and see what the pressure is. From memory it should be about 40psi give or take a few. Several years back I had a similar car that had a bad regulator and pressure was over 90.... creating excessive load on the pump.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What is your fuel pressure before and after the noise starts?

The main (external) fuel pump on my 92 cabriolet bought the farm. I > replaced it with a Bosch purchased from the nearest VW dealer. The > new fuel pump worked fine, but after about 5 minutes, it started to > whine really loud. I called VW parts and they said "bad fuel pump" > and sent me a replacement. After installing it, the same thing > happened. Noisey after about 5 minutes. VW service says "can't be a > bad pump, must have been caused by the transfer pump going bad." $95 > later, new transfer pump installed, still noisey after 5 minutes. VW > says "you killed the new pump. Send me $350 and we'll send you a new > fuel pump." $350 later, new fuel pump installed, still noisey. > > So far I've replaced the fuel filter, cleaned out the tank, replaced > fuel lines, replaced transfer pump and replaced fuel pump, but still > have the noise. VW shop is 90 miles away, so the option is to tow it > down there. > > Question is, am I overlooking something that might be causing the > noise? > > Thanks in advance. > Roy
Reply to
Mustangbrad

That's why I asked what the fuel pressure was before and after the noise, the regulator might be pooched.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Well, the fuel pressure regulator seems like the only thing left in the system that I haven't replaced. Funny the VW dudes didn't think of this. It all makes sense. I'll test the pressure and let you know. Thanks to all the help! Roy

Reply to
Roy Beard

Isn't 87 CIS?

My 87 CIS cabriolet had a bad main fuel pump, which was caused by lack of a good mechanic installing the transfer pump (they forgot to connect the wires.... but I am not complaining cause I bought the car this way and it ran like crap so i got a decent deal). Anyhow, with no assistance whatsoever from the transfer pump, I drove the car for about a week on JUST the main pump... no telling how long before I purchased the car that it was run like this. I did have to replace the fuel pump relay as well cause it went out a few days after replacing the pump...

BTW... I have had no problems with my $100 Lifetime warrantied fuel pump that I purchased at autozone... shows $240 for the 92 cabriolet on

Mine has done well for a year now... and about 15,000 miles

Reply to
VWGirl

Hey Gang! $50 later and a new fuel pressure regulator and I have a cured, quiet cabriolet! (And an extra $350 fuel pump, if anybody is interested - going cheap!) Please accept this "virtual adult beverage of your choice" and my thanks! You outsmarted the VW dealership and an imports specialty shop!

Roy (driving with my top down again!)

Reply to
Roy Beard

That's what I said a few days ago!