Considering a GTI

Hi all,

wondering if there is a site out there to give me the high/lows about the '95 VW GTI (around that year)

They're going for about 10K CDN here ... love the look and ride aspect anything else I should know about them and whether it would be a good deal.

Considering a new vehicle, but can't see myself paying in to the depreciation and high payments, and my heart sits at what can be done with these GTI

Thanks greatly!

Reply to
GTIjamm

Is it a VR6 model or a four-cylinder?

If it's the former, it was the first year for the VR6 to be installed in the A3 GTI in the US and Canada. If it's the latter, it's more or less the same drivetrain as a Golf GL but with a sportier suspension and equipment.

In either case, the A3s suffered from a lot of plasticky bits that break easily (e.g.: trashed nearly all the grille clips from my friend's '95 Jetta while trying to remove the grille to replace a headlamp assembly). Pretty much just make sure that everything works (all accessories, etc.) and that plastic stuff (trim, switches, etc.) all work.

Despite it being the first year for the VR6 in an A3 GTI, the VR6 was around three years prior in the Corrado and Passat. I don't know of any inherent issues w/the engine.

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks Matt, exactly what I've been looking for ... that helps reconfirm things, looking @ the 4 cyls ... been steering away from the VR6's for that year ... they're asking too much for them out here anyways (BC)

Reply to
GTIjamm

"GTIjamm" wrote in news:yy1Ta.483085$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.calgary.shaw.ca:

With all the other comments, do consider the owner's maintenance records. They should be in good order and you will learn alot about the car in question before driving it.

My '98 GTIvr6 is running great but IT"S NOT FOR SALE! ;-)

Good luck in your purchase,

Andy

PS> Take this with a grain of salt but somebody told me to turn on the radio and hit the preset buttons to see the correlation between the music and the driver's habits. @*/> --AB

Reply to