Re: Fuel Filling Probelm...1990 Jetta

Hi Everyone,

> >I have a 1990 VW Jetta GL w/1.8L engine (gas) and I seem to be having >trouble filling the fuel tank, or my gas gauge is screwed up...Late >yestarday, I filled up my Jetta and today, after doing significant driving, >I was at half a tank. I went to fill up the tank, as I am going on a long >trip the day after tomorrow, and the pump kept shutting off, and fuel >overflowed out of the tank. However, the gauge is only showing 3/4s of a >tank...I have never had a problem with fueling this car before, so what is >going on now? I tried fueling the car at three different stations, and had >the same result each time. I am really concerned about this..... > >Please Help!!! > >Thanks. >

Could be the float is going bad, it could have some crud on it.

I never trust the gauge and just go by milage, at 300 miles I stop and get gas.

Reply to
Dave

Usually some sort of float on the end of a lever that operates the level sender. Over time the float can leak and fill w/ gas, making it sink.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Likely some part of the gauge.

Don't top off the tank! Doing so can damage your car. If you check your manual it likely warns you about it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

So, where should I start first?

Replace the sending unit?

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

You don't say if the amount of fuel added seems reasonable for the driving you've done. If you are not sure, I'd suggest you get a can of gas, and then drive until you run out of gas. You don't have to run it dry, just to where you know you're starting to see symptoms of being out of gas. Add the gallon from the can and go to a gas station and fill up. If it takes roughly the right amount, but shows less than a full tank, your guage is wrong. If it takes less than the full amount, there's some other problem.

BTW, an obstructi>So, where should I start first?

Reply to
TL

My 92 jetta did that. The metal round flap at the top of the filler pipe broke off and wedged itself in the filler pipe.Used a magnet and leatherman to pry it out.

Reply to
vwtopdown

I would not recommend running out of gas. It does not do your fuel system much good. You could try checking the level of gas in the tank when the gauge registers

1/2 tank, BUT NOT WITH A MATCH! :-) I don't even recommend most lights either. Just use a stick or ruler once you remove the sending unit and transfer pump.

I would guess that the sending unit (or it's float) is defective or something is causing it's float to bind up and not fully raise to the highest level. I have changed a couple of gauges and maybe one sending unit. It might be good to line up a good used one at the J-Yard, if you have a pick and pull place close.

dave

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer