Re: Should I put a kill switch in a new 2003 Jetta???

The immobilizer system basically confirms that your key is who it says it is. In short, if you got a duplicate key cut, great. But since it hasn't been coded to the vehicle, the car won't run. Hot wiring and jump starting can't cange this. No immobilizer, no go.

Very effective.

- Peter

I'm not crazy about screaming alarm systems, but did install a kill > switch in our last car. We recently purchased a new 2003 Jetta GLS > with am "immobilizer" system in it, which I gather has an ignition and > fuel cutoff in it. Is a second electrical kill switch overkill or > worthwhile???? > > What does the immoblizer system do, anyway??
Reply to
Peter Cressman

If you live in an area of high theft problems, then I would recommend it. The bad guys learn how to beat the regular deterrents, but they are much less likely to be able or willing to take the time to figure out what they did not expect.

Personally the one I like best is the fuel shut off. I don't know about current cars, but in the older carb cars, it would allow them to start it and drive a couple of blocks and then stop in the middle of the street. They are not likely to want to stick around and figure out what is wrong with the car they just stole.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Not needed with the immobilizer so the only way they will get off with your VW is push, tow , or

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Ernest