Should I have a red key?

What keys should come with a 2002 Mondeo? ISTR reading that some (all?) Fords come with a red master key that is expensive to replace if lost. Is the red key the one that duplicates can be made from?

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
PM

My 53 plate Mondeo Ghia didn't have a red key.

Reply to
Doctor D

Ford done away with having a red master key and all new vehicles designed after the late 90s (i think 98/99). Instead, you just require two programmed keys, to programme a new key.

Which is a brilliant idea, as if you lose a key, most new fords only come with two programmed keys (one keyfob key, one standard pats key + 1 emergency stub), so when you do lose a key, you've still got to get a dealer to reprogramme the immobiliser.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Does the stub key just open the doors or can it start the engine as well? Whats the difference between the keyfob key and the standard pats key? (I've not bought the car yet in case you are wondering!)

Sounds like the first job is to get a 3rd key programmed...

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
PM

When I bought my new Ford (last year) they just gave me two keys. As far as I can tell they are exactly the same.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

The stub key will only work the locks. It won't disable the alarm or immboliser. The standard PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) key is a basic key, with either a red or blue tab, which contains the transponder for the immobilizer (never mix red and blue chips, as you'll scramble the immobilser). The key fob key, is generally a bigger key with all the buttons for central locking, with the transponder hidden away inside it.

Certainly recommended.

Depending on spec, you may find that the car came with two keyfob keys, with or without a stub key, one or two pats keys. Pretty much a gamble as to what exactly it came with. Just make sure you've got two keys that are capable off starting the car.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Many thanks

Pete

Reply to
PM

So yes, if you buy the car, the first thing is to have cut and programme at least a 3rd key. The PATS system allows upto 7 keys to be in use at any one time.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

How much do Ford dealers charge to cut this type of key ?

Reply to
no

I contacted Keyfax Car Keys (0161 339 7500) in Stockport a while ago. They seemed to know what they were talking about and were cheaper than Ford. However, in the end I didn't use them.

They may be able to answer your question.

Reply to
pjlusenet