Re: What makes a strut mount bad?

local shop, now that's the problem with your strut mounts. Every older VW, Fox, Jetta, Golf, Passat has play in the caps right off the truck when new. Normal ply is about 1/2inch up & down. Around here, the big car stores us that line on every VW that comes in their shop. We see the ones, especially thoose under warrty want them replaced. "undetectable"= they like spending your money and replace parts which arn't faulty.

I have a '90 VW Fox, and a local shop is telling me I need both my > strut mounts replaced before they can align my wheels. So I decided > to replace the mounts myself, but when I took the old mounts off they > looked about the same as the new. The shop told me this morning that > a strut mount could be bad for any number of "undetectable" reasons, > but especially noticeable is any amount ot "play" in the mount. > While I was working on the mounts I noticed that the little rotating > washer within the mount moved a little horizontally as well as > rotating. Does this constitute detrimental "play" in the mount, or > is a little motion (other than rotational) normal? > > -- > Posted using the
interface, at author's request> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards> Topic URL: >
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >
Woodchuck

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > >
Yeah, I figured so once I started reading here about a week ago, and especially after the new and old strut mounts looked fairly identical. I?m glad that I did the work myself on that, even if it took most of a day. At least I?m down a couple hundred dollars! And after I replaced the mounts, I took the car back in to get it aligned and they asked me if I had replaced the parts. I said yes, they asked specifically about the strut mounts, and again I said yes, I had replaced them. After they drive-tested it this time they didn?t mention the strut mounts. Guess they don?t want to suggest that I need new mounts when they know I replaced them myself? :-/ Who does anyone trust in the mechanic world, if you don?t know a great deal about cars?

Thanks for your help. I?ll be more careful with suggestions to replace my strut mounts in the future.

Reply to
pfmoriarty7