New Jetta GLI

Was at a local Cincinnati dealer over the weekend, and they had a new

200HP GLI. It was pretty sweet in screaming red and looked liked it was ready to attract significant attention from the local police, just standing still. Have to say, it had the absolute smoothest factory paint finish that I have ever seen on a sub $50k car. Just like glass. General build quality appeared impressive, although the real proof doesn't come till 5 years out.

The black grill treatment on the GLI looks way better than the goofy chrome chins they have on the regular Jettas. It is the only new Jetta that I've seen that looked good from all quarters.

The only downside was the $27k sticker. And weren't in the mood to deal on that one. Ouch.

David Glos

Reply to
DLGlos

The more upmarket VWOA goes, the less likely it is that my next car will be a VW. (I also don't like the design of the new Jettas.) Unless they start selling a Polo or Pointer variant here in the next couple years, the Scion xA's and Mazda 3's are looking pretty good.

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust

I'm in the same boat.

Although, to be honest, they did offer me a pretty sweet deal on a

2005 Passat GL 1.8T 5spd. Could have had it for $18.1k, out the door, which, ironically was less than I paid for my 94 Passat GLX; in actual dollars, not adjusted! And, even though the GL is at opposite ends of the trim spectrum from my GLX (which was the only model offered in 94), I didn't feel like it was decontented, like some manufacturers (Honda comes to mind here) base models.

The 1.8T engine, although it had sufficient horsepower, didn't seem like the right powerplant for the Passat. On my test drive, I noticed the gears had to be frequently stirred, to keep the revs above

2300RPM, and the clutch didn't engage till the pedal was almost in the neutral position. Handling was bank vault confident, but less fun than my 94, which, despite its bulk, is quite tossable. Suppose I would get used to it, but why bother when my 94 still has some life left, and I still enjoy driving it.

If VW isn't careful, they could end up like Cadillac; a company whose average buyer was aging as fast as the company. Everyone has seen where they have been trying hard in the last 5 years to get some younger blood in the showroom.

Yeah, the Mazda's are going to merit a closer look. Likely the 6 for me.

Just for grins, I spent some time behind the wheel of a Focus ST. Which despite paid reviewers laments of "its not the SVT", was a very, very competent set of wheels, and a real steal at $14.5k. It tracked like a laser, with great wheel feedback, without beating your fillings out, had a decent, understated interior, with nice woven cloth buckets, decent trunk space, and the 2.3L Mazda 4 cyl that pulled readily from 1800 RPM on up to redline (nice broad, non-peaky powerband). It didn't come across as a cheap econobox, despite its roots, and yet it wasn't trying to be a mini-luxury car either. Just the kind of ride I wouldn't mind having. It was the kind of driving fun that could previously be found in a first or second generation jetta/rabbit/golf. Too bad VW no longer seems willing to play in that segment. Hopefully, they might once again find the motivation.

David Glos

Reply to
DLGlos