Rear Brakes and Shocks in 98 A3 Jetta

I have a 1998 A3 Jetta GLS, with rear drum brakes which are squeaking. I know I need new rear shoes and maybe drums, but the VW dealer is quoting me $600 plus taxes which I think is pretty outrageous.

Any idea what a more reasonable cost would be? I have an independant VW mechanic who I trust but havent asked yet. Should I replace the rear wheel cylinders and bearings too?

Also, how about rear shocks? I have one that is knocking, so I should replace both rears which ,again, the VW dealer quotes as $435.

Would it be any cheaper to do the rear shocks while Im doing the rear brakes too?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Reply to
F1guy

You must have the word "sucker" tatooed on your forehead.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Wow, thats rude. The guy asked a legitimate question. I would say its way too high, which is typical of a VW dealer. I had to have my front brakes ( pads and rotors) done on my 98 Jetta GT, the dealer wanted almost $500. I had an independant tech do it for $250. Stay away from the dealer!

Carl

Reply to
Carl

All he did was post the quote from the dealer... come on, don't be an ass.

Those repair prices sound too high. Drums tend to be cheaper then disk brakes, and there is no way i'd pay 600 bucks even for vented disks and new pads.... well maybe if I had to change calipers. I'd look elsewhere for the drums.

Reply to
Rob Guenther