Rebuilt or new axles for my Passat?

'95 Passat GLX, 118,000 miles

I have one bad CV joint, and might as well replace both axles because of the milage. The car also needs struts and tires, so needless to say I am going to speed some $$$, and am looking to save a few dollars, if it is not a foolish savings.

So, are there any GOOD rebuilt axles available for VWs, or should I just go ahead and buy new ones? Any preferred brands?

Thanks!

Reply to
ron.dame

The rebuilt will be fine ~ I strolled over to busdepot.com and they offer your axles for ~ $75 ea.

Reply to
Simplstupd

I put a rebuilt one from pep boys on my 89 jet a couple of years ago and it seems to be fine.

But why swap the other > '95 Passat GLX, 118,000 miles

Reply to
starburst

Call around to AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts for pricing. Several years ago I got rebuilt axles for an old Jetta for $90 each with lifetime warranty!

Reply to
Woodchuck

How far behind can the other be? I might as well get it now.

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

I had bad luck with the rebuilt axles in my Jetta, but then they were the smaller inn CVs, so that may have been the problem. Still it makes me wary with rebuilts, and that's why I was asking.

Thanks for the info!

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

got autozone axles on 89 fox, 86 golf diesel. 81 gas rabbit. no problems.

Reply to
northwind

I had bad luck with a replaced driveaxle. Its boot broke after 3 years and I had to replace it. The original VW boots kept for 14 years straight.

Each axle replaces > '95 Passat GLX, 118,000 miles

Reply to
Thomas