Remote Start

Has anyone had a remote starter installed on your manual transmission Vdub? What all does the installer have to mess with inside the vehicle during installation (I know under the dash, but anything else)?

TIA

Reply to
JD

Personally I have remote starters on three of my cars and would never be without one. All of mine are automatic's. However my nieghbor had one installed on his New Beetle std transmission. They had to disable the factory alarm system, but this system came with its own alarm with a LCD sreen on the remote which shows that its running and what area of the car has been disturbed, hood, trunk doors etc

You have to go thru a series of events if you plan to use the remote (If I remember correctly) You have to have the drivers door open, clutch out (in neutral of course) when you turn the car off. When you get out and lock the doors the system now knows that the car is in neutral and will start with the remote, unless you unlock the door again, and then the same routine has to be run thru.

It sound like alot, but he told me that after a week it became his std routine of shutting his car off. It also is worth it on those mornings that are in the single digits and you have to go to work at 5 AM. This system I believe was around $700.00 but seems to be the most foolproof I have seen for Std Trans. There are certainly cheaper ones out there. The interior looks untouched, this was a pretty reputable alarm company that always has BMWs and MB in the lot. Once you have one of these you will never be without one. Good Luck.

Butch

Reply to
Anton382

Can it be done, YES... would I NO! You could wake up in the AM and hit you're start button only to find the car in your living room! Installers in my area say NO to std cars.

Reply to
Woodchuck

# # # # ########################### ########################### # # # # # # # # # ## ##### ##### ########### ############## ## ## # # # # # ## #### #### ############ ######## # # # # ########################### ########################### # # # # # # # # # ## ##### ## ###### #### #################### #### ################

Reply to
Peter Parker

Thanks for the advice woodchuck...I'm thinking no is a good idea also for the time being - the factory alarm would have to be bipassed, and I really don't want to have that messed with. It's too bad that car companies don't offer remote starts as a module plug-in (other than ford?).

Thanks guys

Reply to
JD

Go for a block heater instead. Does VW sell a factory remote starter?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

The manual car taboo is a matter of preference. You simply rig up the safety switches properly and it is not a problem. Use the factory neutral switch AND add a second one for safety. The chances of them BOTH shorting SHUT is nil.

Alarm bypass is a piece of cake. These units are designed with disable circuitry/wiring or have additional modules you can get.

The wild card in installation. A butcher monkey can really hose up a car. A good installer can put the unit in to factory quality (or higher given VW's crappy electrical systems).

Good Luck, Mike

JD wrote:

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Mike Spera

With the VW's which have an immobilizer I have seen the installer glue an extra key under the ignition lock cylinder so the remote start would work. Come to think of it that's the only way around VW's immobilizer which leaves the car WIDE open for a thief! The VW immobilizer must see the transponder that's in the key or it will not start! Still think remote start is worth it!