Replacing a front wing.

Is it as straight forward, as it appears, to replace a front wing on a 1984 Golf GTI. I think I`ve found all the bolt fittings but is there anything I should be looking out for. Is this a job that can be done without disturbing the front bumper?

Reply to
tonyelkins

It would be much easier to R&R the front bumper. I'm guessing from your describing a "fender" as a "wing" you have a Euro-spec car, so I'm not sure what all is involved but on a US-spec car it's a matter of removing four bolts and sliding it out. Since we have bigger, heavier, uglier bumpers I am guessing yours shouldn't be much different.

One thing you will need to be aware of, when you get all the bolts out you may have to heat the seams up a little with a good hair dryer or heat gun as there's some seam sealer between the fender and the body that tends to "grip" a little and will make the fender difficult to remove even if all the hardware is removed.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

We Yanks often think of a "wing" as a vent window, but I guess you are referring to the fender - correct?

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
tonyelkins

I usually think of it as something birds and airplanes use to fly :)

Reply to
Matt B.

sandwiched between the wheels, on ice or deep water, hydroplaning is just like flying, but without the stewardess !:-))

Reply to
tonyelkins

Definitely have to have the stewardesses. And not the United "I'm working toward a non-existant pension" Airline stewardesses, but more along the lines of the China "I get to go someplace cool?" Airlines stews.

Besides.... after an hour, your hungry for another....

Nevermind... I'll digress another day, and return you to the talk about sheet metal.

;)

Reply to
Don Mac Phee