Replacing Load reduction relay

Hi, I have a problem that from my research is either:

A) A bad ignition switch B) Load reduction relay

Since the car is only 3 years old (A Cabrio) I'm pretty sure it's the relay. Plus I figure that this would be a cheap thing to try. The question I have for you all is how difficult is it to replace that relay? Looks like I have to remove the bottom part of the dash to get to the relay panel. I can just *barely* see a few of the relays through the fuse door. Any words of wisdom for me?

Thanks,

Jay

p.s. I just know that some people will wonder what the symptoms are. Every once in awhile after starting the car, the ABS Light, the heater blower motor, headlights, don't work. After stopping and restarting the car the problem usually clears. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
user

I take it that nobody has tried this?

Reply to
user

I've never had a close look at the relay panel on a 2001 Cabrio, so I cant offer any words of wisdom on how to get to the relay. If you can't sneak your hand up there, go ahead and try to take the lower dash out, my 89 jetta lower dash comes off with two or three screws, but its gotta be different on a 2001. What I realy wanted to say was, don't go out and buy a relay (unless you can return it) untill you are confident thats the problem. Do you know anyone that you could borrow the relay to test? You may find that other VW's of that age have the same relay so it might not need to be a Cabrio.

Good Luck

Will

Reply to
Will

I haven't replace the relay in years! My guess is the ignition switch.

Reply to
Woodchuck