smell

I am less than six months with a 99 passat and lately started smelling a slight burning smell at times. I am not sure what it is but it seems to be associated with manual shifting in town or perhaps some rougher than ideal shifts. I am using the heater almost 100% as the ambient temperature here is single digits. Can you recommend some things I might check? Manual trans fluid - where is this at? This is a great group for new VW owners. Thank you in advance.

Reply to
geewiz

On 2 Feb 2007 18:02:46 -0800, "geewiz" wrote: sounds like you have a clutch disc that's slipping causing it to burn. an indication would be that the clutch pedal is almost all the way released before you feel the car starting to move in first gear.

Reply to
samstone

No, I think the clutch works properly. However, I did start to notice small oil areas in my garage. I switched to synthetic right after I purchased this 99 Passat V6 used. I wonder if the synthetic loosened all the dinosaur sludge and this is a byproduct of that? If this is the case do I switch back or go for the all day tighten-everything-in- sight with expensive mechanic time? Thanks again.

Reply to
geewiz