sparkplug wire question

I have a 97 jetta 2.0 with 100,000 miles. I have been having a problem with the engine missing under wet conditions. I have replaced the dist. cap and rotor but I still have the same problem. Can bad sparkplug wires cause this in wet conditions?

Thanks

Reply to
Runjgdrun

YES and maybe even the ign. coil too! You can usually find the problem with a spray bottle of water and start misting the wires and looking for sparks. It is usually better to do it in a dark place. I would mist the ign. coil last since it may cause a complete shutdown of the engine, so it is the last thing I check.

dave

Had similar problems with my '99 passat. That was because of carbon build up. Did an Italian tune-up and no problems since.

Reply to
Baudolino