Stalling when stopping, engine rough when driving (95 Golf)

My 95 Golf often stalls when I come to a stop. It also runs roughly when driving (even at higher speeds). Both of these problems seems to be more evident after I have driven for a while, stop, then start up again.

A few months ago I had a problem of stalling in wet weather. I noticed that distributor cap was getting condensation inside - so I replaced the cap and rotor. This solved the problem of stalling in wet weather. Could the distributor cap and rotor be defective and causing these new problems? I bought fairly inexpensive ones at Canadian Tire.

I ran several bottles of fuel injector cleaner through as well.

After looking at the other messages here it seems like I should be checking for a vaccum leak but I am not sure how to do this or where to start.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
webmaster

how are the spark plugs and spark plug wires? what do the spark plug electrodes look like? Color and any deposits on them?

Get a repair book, or look on the internet, for info on analyzing the electrodes.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Have a mechanic physically clean your throttle body needs doing about every

2yrs (otherwise done during a major service).

Reply to
History

Hello, Engine hesitations after something like half an hour driving should not be a problem related to condensation in the distributor (usually when starting engine cold)...I would think of a clogged fuel filter Hope it helps al

Reply to
al

I bought the car a year ago and am not sure how old the plugs are. The plug wires look ok but I am not sure what to look for in terms of wear.

Mark

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
webmaster

This should be in the FAQ if you buy a used car. Change the plugs, when you also change the cap and rotor.

You also want to check the air filter and Throttle body and the hose. Clean that real good and check for cracks in the TB hose. Replace hose if you have cracks which you can only get at the dealer.

Replace fuel filter since it's a new used car for you.

Get a Haynes manual (cheaper) first and later get a Bentley if you still are willing to keep the vehicle. These are the standard manuals used to work your car. I use both.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I still may have 1-2 new Haynes repair manuals for your Golf. They make interesting reading and if they help with just 1 simple repair then it will pay for itself.

Let me know if you are interested and I will look in my "stash". ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1