Sunroof/Moonroof - what's the diff?

Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a 2003 Jetta Wolfsburg that's in a different state - it's listed as having a moonroof. I currently own a

2000 Jetta with a sunroof. Anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mac guy Eric

Sunroof usually means no glass, moonroof usually means glass you can see thoruhg when closed, and usually a panel you can slide closed for privacy or to block out sunlight...

Reply to
Biz

Just a mix on names I bet. Should be the same as your 2000.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Are they all moonroofs now?

My 85 GTi has a sunroof, I dont think there were any moonroofs around yet in

  1. My parents Lexus ES300 and GX470 both have moonroofs, glass panel with a privacy panel.

Reply to
Biz

Depends on the time of day ...

During the day it's a sunroof ... and at night it's a moonroof.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Dat's a goot one.

Anyway, I found out it's pretty much the same thing these days - the Jetta I'm looking at does indeed have a sliding moonroof with a panel for blocking out the sunlight if ones wishes to do so.

Reply to
Mac guy Eric

Moon roof, opened at the back and tilted up. Sun roof, Slid back and opened the entire roof.

My new Golf TDI can do both.

Howard

2005 Golf GLS TDI Silver
Reply to
Howard R Garner

The earlier post about moon roofs being glass and sunroofs being opaque is now standard industry nomenclature. I liked the answer, though, about it depending on the time of day.

Reply to
KokomoKid

I don't suggest this pair of definitions are better than what was posted already.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

This one is so easy, speaking as someone who used to frequent rock festivals. The sun roof you open to let the sun in The moon roof you open to moon out of, simple really. Especially effective when driving next to buses and coaches full of old or very young people

Reply to
Dave Wood