Taillight problems 97 VW Golf GL

Hi everyone,

My 1997 Golf GL has a problem with the right tail light. The brake light only illuminates dimly, the running light stopped working at all, etc. The bulbs test fine. The problem appears to be a corroded connector at the taillight. There are two connectors that plug into the right taillight plate, one has 8 wires, the other connector has one or two. The eight wire connector appears heavily corroded and is frozen in place. I can't remove it, and a mechanic friend was not able to either. He suggested buying a new plate from VW, which I did. Unfortunately they didn't have the wiring and connectors, and he said he could only order an entire harness which he warned would be very expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a corroded wire connector from its socket? That's my preferred repair method---If I can do this, I should be able to clean the existing connector and just replace the "plate" which is what all of the bulbs are seated in. Unfortunately there isn't a lot slack in the wire to work with.

Alternatively if I can acquire just the 8 pin connector from someplace I could easily splice it to the existing wires. I struck out at two junkyards, although I would much rather replace with a new part anyway.

Thanks!

Reply to
Roger Whitman

Do what you need/have to do. Even if you have to cut the plastic some to get that corroded terminal off of the bulb holder assembly. A used replacement should work fine.

Is it possible to order the plastic terminal plug(s) and then purchase the terminals to fit inside of the plug?

BTW I have added additional grounds to some bulb holder assemblies, when their grounds weren't working well, which worked fine.

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Try spraying WD40 on the connector, wait a few minutes to let it do its work, then try again to remove the connector.

WD40 removes almost anything!

Allt he best, Patrick

"Roger Whitman" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@spam.free...

Reply to