TDI Cold Weather Stalling

Howdy All:

I have a 1999.5 New Jetta TDI. I'm having trouble with the diesel stalling out during cold weather. I've had to be towed to an independent mechanic shop three times in the last two and a half weeks.

The first time, the mechanic thought it was a matter of the fuel gelling. He replaced the fuel filter (which needed it anyway) and treated the diesel fuel with anti-gelling agent. He kept it in the garage and it ran great. He left it outside the garage and it worked great as well, although the weather did warm up.

Got it back and ran it for about two days. The weather dropped below freezing and it stopped on me once again while driving to work. The mechanic found a relay to the injectors which needed to be replaced. Once again it ran great. He kept it an extra day just to test drive it a few times. I got it back yesterday and it ran great.

Today I drove it to work. Once again it got really cold. I started to drive it home and after about two or three miles, it stalled out again. I called the mechanic on the cell phone. While I was waiting for him to show up with the tow truck, I tried starting it again. After about 15 minutes, I was able to get it started. I was afraid to get back on the road again so I just let the engine run so I could get warm. It ran fine for about 25 minutes with no problem whatsoever.

When the tow truck arrived, I shut the motor off. I told the mechanic what happened and he asked that I try starting the car again and driving it so he could follow me. It took about three tries, but it started. I drove about a quarter of a mile and it stalled out again. The mechanic said it almost seemed like it was getting too much fuel because it smoked a little just before stopping.

I had the MAF replaced about 20 k miles ago, so I don't think it's that. Any ideas, guys? I'm going in to see the mechanic tomorrow to get a loaner.

David

Reply to
David Heverly

If you took it to the dealer then ask them to check technical bulletin

20-03-01 which addresses fuel gelling and replacement of the fuel pickup assembly in the fuel tank. The pickup is redesigned for improved fuel flow... and NO it's not a recall and NO it's not FREE from VW but good news is the list price is under $100USA!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Visit

and find out how to correct the pickup tube yourself. Or put it in yourself and save half.

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

This sounds like the "relay 109" problem. I had that happen to my 99 new Jetta TDI about a year after I got it. It would stall, and nothing would work. Wait a little while and it would start again.

Try searching groups.google.com for "tdi relay 109" and you will see lots of discussions about it. Or check

(which seems not be responding right now) for "relay 109".

Reply to
Al Rudderham

I see many articles suggesting gelling but none specific on modifying/removing screen Could you please provide a link, article title, date etc??? Thanks Joel Osserman, proprietor SelectEurocars.com -Top 10 Buyer VW Off Lease USA '85-2001

0685 Waterloo-Geneva Rd. Waterloo, NY 13165 (315)-789-9368 phone (315)-789-9018 fax Always a choice of, 1995+ off-lease VW/Audi See us @
SELECT TRA

I now I should go to the dealer, but I live in Central PA and the dealer I used to go to is an hour away and the other one is 45 minutes away. I say "used to go" since the VW Service Advisor they used to have and I trusted, is no longer there. The last time I was there, the woman they hired to replace him tried to tell me I should be replacing my timing belt every 10,000 miles. Gee, and I thought the every 40,000 miles in the manual was conservative.

I had thought about going to the other dealer. A woman at work took her Jetta there for an oil change. They called her just before the end of work and told her that her car had "fallen off the lift". The wheel was bent and the rear door damaged. I don't know all the details, but I'm betting that they don't put their most experience mechanics on the oil changes.

My guy isn't a VW Mechanic. But he's letting me use a loaner until he either fixes it or "warm weather arrives".

David Who used to live outside of Baltimore and had three delaers within 45 minutes drive.

Reply to
David Heverly

Look in the "General Maintenance - A4 TDIs" section of TDIClub for an article called Cold Weather Design Flaw, Secret Recall from VW?

modifying/removing

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Many thanks. We have bought the replacement filter screen in the past year for one customer experiencing gelling and saw little difference. Of course this year far colder and consistently so! The check valve mod looks promising unless bottom 1/2 of filter freezing up due to water stops them!

Of course before this winter, it had been 20 years since I found any measurable amount of water in a diesel fuel filter and we service hundreds of them! Joel Osserman, proprietor SelectEurocars.com -Top 10 Buyer VW Off Lease USA '85-2001

0685 Waterloo-Geneva Rd. Waterloo, NY 13165 (315)-789-9368 phone (315)-789-9018 fax Always a choice of, 1995+ off-lease VW/Audi See us @
SELECT TRA

The part number is 1J0-919-183H and the price should be around $60. I have some owners drilling out the check valve in the old float assembly but for if it was my car I just would go with the new & improved part VW has. Besides VW states it has improved fuel flow and it sure beats a long cold night waiting for a tow truck. At our dealer we are lucky in that the 3 advisors are good. One was a tech for about 12 years and the others I "beat the crap out of them to get it right"! And yes... over the years I have seen it all" cars fall of racks, fires, doors get bent back, hood fly up and rap over the roof. Sometimes Sh*t happens especially for the younger and careless techs and lot attendants. As for me I try to plan ahead to avoid problems and keep the customer happy. I get very upset when the advisor tries to feed the owner a line of crap and many times I have talked to the owner on a 1 on 1 basis. That way the problem doesn't lose translation from the owner to advisor, to what he prints on the repair order!

Good luck

Reply to
Woodchuck

"Secret Recall from VW" now that's news! There is no recall but there is a technical bulletin which came out over a year ago. The problem is caused more by the crappy fuel we have here in the USA than the part itself!

Reply to
Woodchuck

happened to me in maine after new years. we got slammed with -25F temps for a week. i didn't use enough Power Service Diesel additive. i took it to bethel auto twice, but until i had the tank pumped and had VW install the newer larger diameter sending unit (and replace the filter), the problems persisted. before that we had swapped the filter AND stuck a lot of anti-gel in the tank.

since then the car's been starting like a charm in single digit and below temps.

best of luck.

David Heverly wrote:

Reply to
manapy