Should I buy: 1998 Passat S 1.8 20 valve (Estate)

Hi, I am considering buying a 1998 (R Reg) VW Passat S 1.8, 20 valve Estate. Many people I have spoken to cannot say enough good things about VW and passats and yet my friend who is keen on motoring says VWs = Disaster. Who is right? Is the passat reliable?? Do services and parts cost a lot more than average? The model I am considering seems to be in good nick (70K on the clock) so is quite tempting...

Reply to
Matt