2004 Passat TDI Wagon questions?

I'm looking at buying a 2004 Passat TDI wagon. The product litrature is full of marketing mombo-jumbo that us Americans seem to like but not many detials. Any answers below would be appreaciated!!!

---- Trans ------ The litrature says that you can slide the selector to the right and push forward to upshift and pull back to down shift.

My question is does this really work like a manual transmission by locking the engine output directly to the drive shaft ( which would increase gas mileage) or does it just give you the sensation of a manual shifter but only really just changing to a new automatic gear?

Is "D" a locking overdrive?

---- Specs ------ Can this vehicle tow a trailer and if so how much weight?

Gross vehicle weight?

Vehicle weight? If you have the Jetta wagon weight to compare that would be great.

---- Jetta wagon VS Passat wagon ---- I'm torn here - I like the gas milage of the jetta wagon but I went to the dealer in Atlanta an it seems that the Passat has a little higher quality of construction but I really don't know? Any comments on Jetta VS Passat?

---- Options ----- Is their any way to get the six way seat, 16' Mags in a TDI model?

---- Ordering ----- I really don't think a dealer will have exactly what I want. passat wagon, leather, color, etc. If I order one will it take forever to get one.

---- How to purchase ---- I've never purchased a new car. Several people have told me the get the price off

and see if the dealer will match it. Is this the best way to go?

---- Passat Wagon Owner comments ---- If any of you own the Passat wagon I would appreaciate your comments on the TDI wagon!

Thinks in advance!

Reply to
Skip

---- Options ----- Is their any way to get the six way seat, 16' Mags in a TDI model?

Those are freaken huge wheels!!!

That's entering Touareg territory...lol

now 16" wheels....that might be possible....

Reply to
Pete Cressman

yes, purchase a usa glx version and remove the seats...reflash and install and hook up pigtail..pow! there you are...... or maybe a salvage yard might work if you don't mind slightly used.....otherwise, not available in usa model.....btw, there is a huge,huge demand for the newly released diesel version on passat and a very, very limited supply in the pipeline....expect to pay at least msrp and perhaps more at selected locations near you! the wheels are another story. regards

Reply to
euro930

speed, if at light throttle.

In manual mode you can shift up or down manually, but it is still an auto trans with a torque converter. The converter will lock in 5th above a certain speed, just as in regular automatic mode in "drive." If it's like the manual mode in a gas Passat, it will kick down if you floor the right pedal, even in "manual" mode.

The maximum recommended trailer weight for a manual Jetta TDI is 1000 pounds. My manual says "information not availbable at time of printing" for the automatic. I don't know about the Passat, but you can look at an owner's manual at a dealer. My guess is that the US manual would say 1000 or 1500 pounds for the Passat, but you see people in Europe towing much more than that.

I have a Jetta TDI manual wagon. I had a 2000 Passat wagon with 1.8t and manual trans. The Jetta is only six months old, but I've had no trouble with it and the quality is very good. The Passat has a few more nice gadgets, like an outside temp. indicator and, in most trim levels, a trip computer, but it cost more and is automatic only with the TDI. The Passat is probably a little quieter than a Jetta, but the Jetta is not a noisy car. If I'd been able to get a Passat TDI wagon with a manual trans, I might have done so, but it would have been primarilly for the extra space. The main "cargo" I carry is r/c model airplanes, and the longer load floor of the Passat would be nice. The Passat is maybe $4K more money for a comparably equipped car.

Reply to
kokomokid

I bought my 2003 Jetta TDI 5 speed from Dwight Harrison in Stone Mountain. I think I paid a fair price. Jim Ellis had a horrible reputation over the apst few years. The only thing I miss from the Passat that I can tell is the extra rear seat leg room. My parrents did not fit in the back so swell. Well my mom did but my dad is a bit taller and not to spry these days. He fit fine in the front seat. I also considered the lack of a diesel and the premium for what looked like the same car. Passat was few thousand more but no diesel at the time. I drive a lot so if I was going new I wanted the best mileage I could afford while still buying a VW.

I have read posts that the automatic is used most often just as an automatic. No fuel mileage benefits from shifting it yourself Automatics get a bit less mileage than a 5 speed but that is not an option in the Passat..

I tow with the truck. I have a hitch >

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

this seems to be merely fun to play with. It will auto downshift as you slow down, but not as you speed up (allows wind out of rpms.

both listed at VW.com

both great cars. Passat is bigger for sure, esp in the rear seat. Not to say the rear seat is designed with appropriate support for a large adult in the back on a long trip but my 7 y.o. has trouble getting into the A4 rear when my seat is back. No issues on a passat.

I got darn close. Wheels can be retrofit. Sell the OEM wheels on ebay and get what you want elsewhere. bear in mind a passat is a passat so there are a ton of parts available to fit the vehicle after the fact since it is sold in super luxury trim w/ W8, GLX ,etc. but at the moment the diesel comes in 2 flavors, stripped econo version and well appointed entry level luxury pkg. It is like chocolate & vanilla from my point of view.....every car that was on the list I saw came in one of 2 ways.....eg. if you want clothe seats and a sunroof you are outta luck, gotta get leather if u want the roof.

you want the perfect car at the ideal price w/ immediate delivery. It's likely your ideal car will be sold to someone who is less concerned about either price, delivery, color, etc. they are in demand.

Used to have a tdi A4. same mileage, better accleration in the passat, more room, longer interval between major service, a wonderful car. great resale on the TDI, selling into rising fuel prices doesnt hurt either I suspect.

I would encourage anyone interested in a TDI to read

which is an owner community with enormous knowledge and resources unlike any other auto community I've experienced.

Reply to
Mike

In article , Skip wrote: overdrive?

My owners manual says that the Passat TDI with auto can tow a 1600lb trailer without brakes and about 2000 lbs with brakes. These are rounded figures because I don't have the book here in front of me. Torque and power are so good, I don't think I will have any problems with my 1200 lb pop up trailer. hayden

Reply to
dieseltdi

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

In Europe the 100hp TDI Passat Wagon is rated for towing 1400kg, which equals 3080 pounds. The 180hp 2.5l diesel version is rated for 2000kg,

4400 pounds. The ratings are equal for manual and automatic versions.

The Jetta Wagon (which is called Golf here) 100hp TDI is rated for

1300kg, 2860 pounds.
Reply to
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

The European towing specs for some reason always are a little higher. In Europe many Mercedes products are rated for towing (their station wagons at least), they used to be here in Canada (we looked at an E300 wagon back in the early 90s, settled on a Volvo 965 instead) but now they aren't rated for towing (and are priced out of reach too), supposedly a legal thing (don't want to make claims in case the lawyer loving Americans sue I guess). Volvo's are rated to tow more weight in Europe (all are limited to 2000lbs or 3300lbs here). My Golf isn't listed to tow any weight here, but apparantly in Europe it has a tow rating (tho not a very high one of course - 90Hp diesel, with automatic... I don't want to know what I would be doing to that combination towing something up a big hill).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Jim B.

Reply to