timing belt

Should I change the timing belt at the 70,000 mile check up? How much should it add the cost? What should the cost of a 70,000 mile check up be?

Reply to
A New Beetle Driver

As I recall they have had different timing belts and tensioner in different years. You need to check your owner's manual for the correct time to change it. I believe those who had shorter times will receive and update when they change it so then new one will last longer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan
40,000, 60,000, 105,000miles! All depends on which engine you have. But with so little information that's all I can offer.
Reply to
Woodchuck

And has it been changed before ;)

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Whatever the cost is for a new timing belt, I assure you that it will be far less than the cost of a new engine - which could very well be necessary if the belt breaks. Generally speaking, when a car reaches 70,000 miles, it is time for a new belt.

Reply to
Papa

Sorry.

It's a 2000 1.8L Turbo Beetle. The belt has never been changed before.

Reply to
A New Beetle Driver

VW calls for 105,000 but if I owned it I would do it at 80k!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
none2u