Timing belt question here ????

If the timing belt is off by one tooth would that make a big difference in any kind of car?

Reply to
AlanH70

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

YES & Yes

Reply to
Woodchuck

I once had this fortunate experience with a V-6 Mazda van. In that case I had to drain the coolant and pull the rad to do the work. After I initially completed the job the car started and ran OK, but listening to the exhaust I could tell something was off. Timing was off also and would not adjust in spec. I drove the car for a week and I think some people wouldn't have noticed the difference. When I took it apart the second time it looked good, but as I put the belt back on I could see it move just one tooth because I had tension where I needed slack and slack where I needed tension. When it was over I was glad I re-visited the issue.

Jim

AlanH70 wrote:

Reply to
Jim

Yes.. as stated above, it's a common mistake to leave slack on th belt on the wrong side, thus when tensioning it, pulling on the cran or whatever, and pulling it who knows how many degree's off from th rest of the engine. It will run, but indeed will be very funny, an should definitely be low on power for sure From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
mk1tuner