Timing Specifications VW Rabbit 1985 Vs. 1992

We have a book for up to 85 but the car is 92 Need to know if the speck's are the same on the timing belt, front of the 4Cyl motor of the Rabbit Convertable 4Cyl

Reply to
joeealand

AFAIK Basically the timing marks for the 1.8 8V gas engines in the USA VWs for the years 1985-1992 are the same. You will possibly find an additional mark on the 1992 on the camshaft sprocket to align it to the mark on the plastic inner timing belt cover that is bolted to the valve cover.

Adjust your timing belt tensioner in a CW direction! ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Check prior post

Reply to
al

yeah the VW 1.8 8V engine since the early 1980s only saw changes mostly in the area of the injection system but otherwise is the same basic engine. The only thing you're going to be dealing with on the '92 that's "weird" is the timing procedure. it's probably a Digifant-injection engine and its timing is set usually at 2500rpm and not at idle (and I believe there are a few other things to do as well like disconnecting the coolant sensor and disconnecting and plugging an air hose). The bentley manual has the exact procedure.

Reply to
Matt B.