Tiptronic VS Standard Transmission?

Hi all,

I've been looking at the Jetta TDI for a while now, but after sitting in one (at 6'1"), especially at the back, I realized that I would probably have to upgrade in 8-10 years. So I looked at the next step up, the Passat GLS with TDI Engine. The problem is, it comes with a TipTronic tranny and standard is not an option. The reason why I'm looking at standard is to maximize the savings (breaks, diesel, etc), but I just don't know what the TipTronic feels like, or if it's the kind of toy that I would use regularly...

Anyone experienced with this?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
DFastOne

I've never driven the TDi Passat, but I've driven a Golf TDi (90Hp) with 5 speed and the Passat 1.8t and V6, both with Tip. Neither time I drove the Tip did I like it, it's sluggish and has a hard downshift into first on coasting stops. In manual mode it's OK, but in auto mode (where it's probably going to be most of the time) I hated it. I've driven a MB S350 diesel and really liked it though. It's smooth and has a ton of room, not to mention MB reliability and S-class status, if you care about it, but it's not as fun to drive. I believe that both it and the old (pre-99') E-Class diesels can both be had at very competitive prices, if you don't mind having a used car (although a used MB is probably as good as most new cars). I also had the chance to drive Toyota's Prius a few weeks ago, and really liked it. It's *very* smooth in operation and has a great ride. I'd reccomend looking into it. I guess the Civic Hybrid is worth a look too, but I've not driven one and never much liked Civics anyway.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The TipTronic is not a substitute for a manual transmission. We had one in our '99 Passat GLS and found it was really only useful for getting a more aggressive start off of a light and keeping the tranny from "hunting" for the right gear while climbing a steep hill. That latter one was actually a pretty nice benefit and I don't want to trivialize the TipTronic feature, but that is about the extent of it's real-world usefulness.

Cheers,

-+JLS

Reply to
Seagull

Tiptronic is a pretty lousy idea, IMO. It's not a manual, but a 'shiftable auto.' Which means you get the sluggishness of an auto disguised as a manual. Anyway, I'd avoid it if I were you, definitely not money well spent.

Reply to
93 Fox

You beat me to the question. :-) I was going to ask if anyone has heard whether or not at some point in the future the Passat TDI would have a manual transmission. If my Jetta TDI ever gets totaled I would like to trade up to the Passat TDI but only if it has a manual. Do not like the Triptronic at all. Had one in a 1.8T Jetta.

Reply to
Numan

I had my dealer's Passat 1.8T loaner again yesterday, which is a tiptronic. I ended up keeping it in manual mode the entire day, the auto mode is horrid, IMO.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Thanks for your comments, I'm not going anywhere near the auto transmission. What a shame, I browsed the British VW site yesterday

and at least half ofthe models of Passats have a manual transmission (look at the drop down listwhere it says Select Engine). Too bad it's not recognized to be in ourculture here in north-america... Al

Reply to
DFastOne

American buyers don't purchase manual transmissions in the numbers that Europeans do, but I have a feeling that this trend will change unless our gas prices start coming down again and some less expensive models come to the market, in quick order. However, this doesn't stop VW from offering a manual in every model they sell her other than the Pheaton and Toureag. The Golf/GTi, NB, Jetta and even Passat are all avalible with manuals. In fact, the Beetle Turbo S, GTi VR6, Jetta GLi and Golf R32 are only avalible with 6-speed trannys.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Yes, but to be more specific (sorry for the confusion), the manual is not available with the Passat Turbo Diesel... Now, there's a car I'd like to have!

Al

Reply to
DFastOne

Are you positive? They aren't being sold here in California so I've got no idea. I know they sell the Jetta TDi, Golf TDi and NB TDi with 5-speed manuals. It'd be nice to see revised 6-speed units for the newer diesels though.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The automatic "learns" from the drivers habits, so yours may have had a less than adequate education.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I'd consider this a possibility, problem is I go months in between getting that car and yet the things I don't like about the Tip stay the same. If it were an issue associated with the "learning" capability of the transmission than I can logically assume that the issue would be gone by the next time I get that car. Moreover, there are some problems with the Tip, such as somewhat sluggish response that are universal, and well documented by magazine tests as well as many who've personally test driven Tip equipped VWs. I've got no experience with Tiptronic equipped Porsches or Audis though, so I've no idea if they share these problems.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Come to find out that the "revised" 100Hp TDi is avaliable with a 6-speed tiptronic in the NB. I wonder if it's any better than the old 5-speed unit I've driven with.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

It's the DSG transmission. Completely different from the regular tiptronic auto in that it does not have a torque converter. Instead it is a manual gearbox with two shafts and two wet clutches. Gear 1,3 and

5 is on one shaft while gear 2,4 and 6 is on the other. When you are in 3rd gear and accelerating, 4th is already engaged on the other shaft. When you shift, cluch 1 disengages while clutch 2 engages simultaneously. Shifts are lightning quick, 0.2 seconds if I remember correctly.

The DSG gets almost as good mileage as a manual tranny, much better than the conventional auto transmission. It also accelerates faster than you can do with a manual tranny. You can leave it in D or S (sport), or shift yourself like the old tiptronic.

Here's some links:

?id=46412
I have just ordered a VW Touran 2.0TDI HL with the DSG transmission :)

Reply to
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

I don't think so. I think that what is going to happen instead is that, as "auto-manuals" (as opposed to "manu-matics") and CVTs become cheaper and more trusted, they will end up replacing both automatics and "normal" manual transmissions. Keep the clutch, but let the computer do the work (with manual override for "real" drivers who think they can beat the computer) - best of both worlds. I don't think this is more than a couple of years off, now that both CVTs and computer-controlled manuals (new abbreviation - CCMs?) are starting to make it into more mainstream models.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

According to the VWUSA web site, the Passat TDI is available with Tip only.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

It's not always about "beating" the computer. I prefer a real manual tranny because the computer will *never* step in and force a shift in my car. Even in manual mode, the Tip's computer can step in and make a gear change at a particularly unwanted moment.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

transmission.

This answers whether or not the Passat TDI may or may not come with a manual at some point. This proves it is a possibility.

Reply to
Numan

Me too! With a manual tranny.

Reply to