used power trains from Europe.

I have notices at least one source of Japanese engine-tranny combinations pulled from Japanese vehicles and sold in the USA. Apparently as the vehicle gets older in Japan it becomes prohibitively expensive to insure so owners scrap rhem. Same thing happens with any indications of body rust...

Does anyone know if a similar source for VW power trains? Most that I see are pulled/rebuilt from vehicles sold in Canada and the USA.

TIA

Ken

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

Europe's insurance system is more similar to ours (North America's), you just need to get your car thru a rigorous inspection, make the needed repairs to bring the car up to spec, and you are good to go.... A good idea, since the cars have to work harder over there; with high speed motorways, mountain climbs, and tight winding roads.

I've heard the same thing about Japan tho, that's how all those VTEC Type R or S or what ever letter they equate to more power, Integra motors are winding up in humble little civics

Reply to
Rob Guenther

They sell VWs in Japan. Where do those engines go?

Reply to
HooHa

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Given the relatively few VW's sold in Japan I wouldn't expect too many parts coming from there. The sell Bimmers, Jeeps, etc there too, and we don't see many of the parts.

I'd expect more VW parts from Mexico, and in fact, that does seem to be the case for the older cars.

Tim Wohlford '89 golf

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

My ISP does not have the following response yet, but it is easy to answer: Lots of diesel power trains in Europe. I am starting to look at converting my caravan to one of the diesel power trains that are used in Europe. I am starting to look at the details ( add-ons, electronic controls, etc) so if it will be a real pain then i can always either abandon or get a VW converted to one of the later TDI units.

Ken

A diesel Caravan is what i am interested in. A gas turbo has lost it's appeal for this 56 y.o.- my two boys are starting to drive or learn how to drive (driver ed lessons) and when I got my uncle's 87 Diplomat the younger one asked: "How fast will this one go?" My (internal to myself) reply was "Oh, Oh! Is this some kind of premonition?"

That isn't to say that diesels cannot go fast: look at the semis on the highways. Maybe I can get a governor for the diesel that will be easier to install than on a gas burner?

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

You can't use a European spec diesel motor here for around 3-4 more years. We don't have clean diesel fuel, it would wreck the engine.

As for a diesel convertion, not worth it.... what are you worried about with a Caravan, they are slow anyways... My friend has one, and you wouldn't want to go more then 130 in it anyways...

As far as a Diplomat goes... yea... they don't look like the fastest cars on the planet either...

If you want a TDI VW for the kids (hell even an old TD from the early 90s) be aware that you can get either one moving quite fast. The newer TDI's could get up to nearly 200kph. The older TD's of course aren't nearly as fast, but I am sure they can get around 150kph or so.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
skydivertu