Mk 1 Jetta Euro Headlight install

Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram and helpful advice for installing a Euro headlight set up in my 1984 GLi?

It is the stock european Jetta grill, the two headlights with city lights. I plan to install a relay at the same time

TIA

Gary

1966 1300 Sea Sand 1966 1200A Sea Blue
Reply to
Morganwerk

You need two relays...one for high and one for lows.

You will need to tap into one of the 3-wire plugs (outer headlamp) on your car to trigger the relays. You won't need the other three plugs (either high beam or the other outer headlamp plug). These will go unused.

Mount your relays somewhere where they'll stay dry.

Connect 85 on the relays to the brown ground wire in the plug or connect to any ground on the body...your choice. Connect 86 on the low beam relay to the yellow (or yellow-black) wire in the plug. Connect 86 on the high beam relay to the white (or white-black) wire in the plug. Connect 30 on each relay to the alternator or battery + terminal *with* an inline fuse of 10 amps per relay for protection. Connect 87 on the low beam relay to the low beam terminal on the bulb. You will need two wires (one each bulb (each side of the car)) connected to the same 87 terminal on the relay unless you buy relays with twin 87 terminals. Connect 87 on the high beam relay to the high beam terminal on the bulb. You will need two wires (one each bulb (each side of the car)) connected to the same 87 terminal on the relay unless you buy relays with twin 87 terminals. Connect each bulb's ground terminal to any ground on the body.

For the city lights. wire the ground terminal on each bulb to ground (the terminal for ground on the bulb socket is the one that has continuity/contact with the bulb's outer rim) and connected the + on the bulb (corresponds to the tab that the bulb's center contact nipple touches) to your parking lamp 12V+ wire.

Reply to
Matt B.