fog light power source

I've got a 98 ZJ that I'm putting an ARB Bull Bar with a PIAA 580 fog light kit on to replace my stock pos styrofoam bumper and fogs. What's a good power source for these? I was thinking of tieing into one of my stock foglight power wires for switch power and using the PIAA relay which is grounded and runs directly from the battery. That way, I'm thinking I could just leave the PIAA switch ON, and use my existing fog switch on my dash to cut off-and-on. Anybody done this or something similar? Tom

Reply to
tom

Hey tom, I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to ask you if you could post a few pictures (or a link, or I could give you my email address) when you're done? I'm thinking of doing something similar with my YJ and was hoping to see how it looks - the Bull bar and the 580's...

Thanks!

Reply to
Jimmy93

tom did pass the time by typing:

Why bother with the PIAA switch at all?

relay old fog >--------------) ____.------(fuse)-----> Battery coil) common ) /\-----------------> fog lights ground >--------------) no

no == normally open

Reply to
DougW

Doug, I'm not really sure I "get" your diagram. I think I need to use the PIAA switch to work with their harness. I don't believe my stock wiring is quite up to the increased wattage.

Reply to
tom

Tom, the switch is only controlling the fog light relay, not the lights themselves... so you don't need a heavier switch because you're going with a higher wattage fog light. Now the wiring between the relay and fog lights might need to be made heavier, maybe not depending on their gauge, but the wiring and the switch on the other side of the factory foglight relay will be just fine.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

tom did pass the time by typing:

PIAA should have more than one way to hook up the fogs similar to

The circuit I gave uses the existing foglight wire to energize the relay. The relay then powers the lamps directly from the battery.

I'm not familiar with PIAAs harness and it appears they don't put instructions on their website. :/

Reply to
DougW

Jimmy, I'll put a couple of pix up and shoot you a link when I'm all done. Tom

Reply to
tom

Doug & Jerry, Thanx. I think I understand now. I'll just disconnect the switch/wire and splice into one of my fog connections. I was probably making it a little more difficult than it really needed to be. tom

Reply to
tom

That would be great, thanks

Reply to