Switched Power Supply Source

Hi there, I am trying to find a switched power supply source on my 99 ford explorer, I have looked around but cannot really find anything. I am trying to install a radar detector and in the instruction it says that I have to connect the red wire to a switched power supply. Can anyone help me figure this thing out, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
jhonny

Find a hot wire that is hot when you have the ignition turned on. I'd tap the radio power for this. that way it is OFF when you turn off the ignition. It's also the easiest one to find.

Reply to
John Riggs

Reply to
jhonny

I'd just tap into that as it goes into the fuse panel, otherwise you will have to find your way under the dash and look for it.

There are other lines you can tap, but that is the one I would use. Your call.

Reply to
John Riggs

My preference is to get a relay (one of those sold for foglamps, etc. is fine and readily avalable at most auto parts stores), and connect that way. That minimizes the load on whatever circuit you tap into and you can run a fused lead back to the battery if you like (I usually like to do that).

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

I'm just giving options. He wanted to know what a switched circuit was.

| > There are other lines you can tap, but that is the one I would use. | Your | > call. | >

| |

Reply to
John Riggs