Vacuum Reservoir for A/C System

This reservoir is attached to the inside surface of the hood, colored black, and looks like a bunch of tennis balls. Is it really necessary? Will the A/C work without it? My car is a 1988 VW (Rabbit) Cabriolet Convertible. Thanks for responding.

Reply to
Papa

Are you sure it is there only for the A/C?

Vacuum systems generally server a number of functions.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That particular vacuum reservoir is not specific to the A/C, it is for the ventilation system in general. Vacuum from the reservoir is used to open and close the flaps to direct air to the various vents as well as to switch between fresh and recirk.

If you remove the reservoir and leave the hoses open, you will not be able to direct the air where you want it, but the A/C will still work. If you bypass the reservoir (and remove it) the A/C & ventilation system will work fine most of the time, but you will find that during heavy acceleration the air flow from the ventilation system may change, and then return to after you are done accelerating.

Reply to
Randolph

Hi Randolph:

Thank you for a very definitive answer. When I purchased this car a few weeks ago it did not have the reservoir, but at least the vacuum line going to it was capped off, and everything seems to work just fine. I haven't tried the A/C yet, its still winter here. Anyway, I showed the car to my local VW service manager and he did not seem to think that its absence was much of a detriment. I have looked just about everywhere for a replacement reservoir, including Ebay, but no luck so far.

Reply to
Papa

Head to the local junk yard. The same vacuum tank (part number 321 820

601) was used in the cabriolet from around 1984 through around 1993, so it should be easy to find one.
Reply to
Randolph

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Reply to