Odd noise

Hi,

2001 Jetta, GLS, automatic, 2.0l. 87,000 miles. When coming to a moderate braking, there is a noise similar to the "wheel of fortune" wheel. It occurs at about from 35 mph down to 5 mph as I'm braking. If I brake gently, there is no noise.

The noise appears to come from the left front but that can be misleading. The speedometer glides smoothly to zero, with no jerking, etc.

Brakes and rotors are in good shape.

Left front wheel bearings replaced at 49,000 miles. If anyone can offer a suggestion to look at I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Dermott

Reply to
Diarmud387

check motor/tranny mounts.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

The "wheel of fortune" ticking sound is still showing up as I brake from mid 30's to about 5 mph. I have to brake moderate to hard to get the noise, it donesn't happen when the braking is gentle.

Definately coming from the left front.

I have physically looked at the motor/transmission mounts and they look okay. But I'll admit I really don't know what I was looking for. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance, Dermott

Reply to
Diarmud387

Could be a CV joint, or even a loose caliper. Are you sure there's not a rock stuck in the tread? :^p~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver

Maybe you are not driving a VW. Who knows, we are not mind readers...

Reply to
Peter Parker