Hard top for cabriolet

Hey all, I need to know. Is there a "hard top" manufacturer out there for the VW rabbit conv/cabriolet (similar to the new lexus sc perhaps (folding away vs. one complete hard top)) or has anyone attempted to make one? I love my cabriolet and plan to keep it until the end.

Aside from the obvious $$$ issue, what would be the drawback? I like the way that the convertible looks with the top up, so fabricating one from a hard top rabbit isn't what I'm looking for.

Anyone with ideas?

TIA

Reply to
SpiceCD

There is not enough demand for anyone to produce one. I could make you one, but the cost would probably be more than you paid for the car. Only drawbacks I can think of are storage & requiring two people to remove/install it. I *am* planning to make a rear deck, which will require removal of the cloth top assembly, as well as a targa top. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You talking shows like monster garage, where they take a week for 5 people to make a schoolbus into a pontoon boat? This is nothing like those shows. A custom hardtop (done right) would take three times as long to make (in man-hours) as they spend on their entire project cars! ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

While I was checking out (as potential buyer) a 1992 VW Cabriolet of a girl that lived in Toronto, she mentioned that she got hard top for it in her garage. I never saw it, since I was in a hurry, and didn't buy her VW for some reason.

The girl kept talking that hard top is safer than soft one, not only for security/teaves reasons, but it is less prone to dameges by strong wind etc, saying that stong wind can blow away soft ones (if some cables are broken etc.) much easier, breakin the neck of people ion rear seats, etc.

I know this may sound confusing to you, but I am just passing what I heard.

I lost contact with that girl.

I did some investigation on Internet, and couldn't find any traces except one guy mentioning that such hard tops were sold in UK, and that the top folds so that can be kept in the trunk.

I am also interested in getting info on hard tops. If somebody knows about it, please post the info, I would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks,

Johan

There are other shows, like 'Pimp my Ride!" that does auto makeovers.

They aren't the same as the Frankenstein type shows that break out the angle iron and the cutting torch.

That said, I have never, ever heard of a hard top for VW soft top cars.

Good luck, and if the original poster finds one, please keep us informed.

TBerk