Very Odd Problem...

I posted on these newsgroups a couple of weeks ago saying my 2000 automatic VW Polo occasionally stalled now and then. I took it for a couple of diagnostics checks and nothing came up. I decided early last week that I'd drive my car with my mobile phone switched off, and lo and behold, the car didn't stall. I was curious to see if the mobile phone was interfering with my car's ECU unit, as I have a "cubby hole" just below my radio where I normally put my phone.

For the whole of last week and all of this one, I've been driving around with my phone switched off and the car hasn't stalled once. However, yesterday, I gave a lift to a friend of mine and he had his phone on in his pocket. The car stalled.

Has anyone heard similar experiences? Apart from contoinuing to drive with my phone off, is there a way I can have my phone on in the car without it interfering with my ECU unit?

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
Acquiesce

My '91 Miata had instructions in the manual warning about the use of a cell phone in the car due to possible problems.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Acquiesce" mumbled:

Wrap one or the other in tin foil? ;-)

Reply to
Guy King

Yes, I have heard this happening. Your ECU is not screened properly, or effectively.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

So can something be done about it Dave? Or do I just put up with it?

Mark

Reply to
Acquiesce

Fitting a proper car kit might help as the phone aerial would then be outside.

Or put the phone in the boot and use a bluuetooth handset?

Reply to
TimM

Car kit & an external radio.

Reply to
duncanwood

I would get a phone kit so that the aerial is outside the car as advise by others on here.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman