[VW '89 Golf] Upper head flange cracking

So I'm having a consistent problem with my 1989 Volkswagen Golf GL. The upper head flange is cracking every 2-4 weeks. When this does happen the flange "neck" is shearing off, leaving the outer ring in the hose.

I have had the front engine mount, top radiator hose, and expansion tank cap replaced. I'm currently on my 5th replacement flange. The replacement flange is black thermoplastic, about 8 bucks.

It's not leaking, just blowing the upper head coolant flange.

Any ideas?

Reply to
dbyram

are you using an OEM hose? Could be pulling on the neck if not.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Check your thermostat. It may be stuck.

And use the correct type of hose clamps. Avoid over-tightening.

Check your radiator and engine mounts. Excessive movement can unduly stress the hose flange.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

Does it turn white anywhere also? Are you buying them from the dealer?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Maybe a new brand of flange? Three hole with a plug vs. two hole? Maybe try the fifteen dollar flange instead of the eight dollar one?

I think the suggestion about your mounts causing flex is the best one yet. Good luck- it can be fixed!

Reply to
Ears

I am using a new OEM hose. Replaced two flanges ago.

Reply to
dbyram

The temperature gage is showing normal temperatures. I am using original factory spring clamps. The front engine mount has been replaced two flanges ago. I will check the radiator mounts. Thanks.

Reply to
dbyram

No. The flange seems to work well and seal. Bought the replacement flanges from two seperate reliable sources but I will try the dealer. Good idea!

Reply to
dbyram