VW-FOX Fuse box terminals 36-38 (where are they?!)

Hello newsgroup.

After a couple years of replacing starters, batteries, battery cables, etc.. it's time to try the 36-38 wire bridge.

Problem is, I can't find it! I know it's supposed to be on the fuse box, but I see no "terminal 36" or 38. I don't see anything that looks like a wire jumper.

Are these things inside the fuse box or is it another word for a relay? Anyone here ever actually access these two mysterious terminals?

Any pointers appreciated.. are there 2 fuse boxes? (the one I was looking at is under the drivers seat)

Thanks!

Jamie

Reply to
Average_Joe

What is it intended for? In other words why is there a 36-38 wire bridge?, what does it do?

Without any Bentley of that model in front of me I'd say it looks like a 'fusable link' a wire that is a last defense against wire loom melt down.

Maybe this helps, but I don't have enough to go on, sorry.

TBerk

I can't actually answer that having never seen it. :-(

It is said to be located in the fuse box. Web searches have revealed that this wire frequently vibrates loose or "isn't seated properly" causing ignition switch problems which look like a starter problem:

URL

---------------------------------------------- Volkswagen #2: 1987-1993 VW Foxs can really drive you to distraction when you know that the battery is fully charged, all of your connections are clean and tight, you've just replaced the starter (Bosch reman SR0406X) and it still won't start!

What else can you check? The fuse box. That's right, there is a wire bridge located between terminals 36 and 38 that needs to be properly seated to assure power to the starter. By making sure the wire bridge is securely seated, you should have outfoxed the Fox.

The question is, where in the fuse box are these terminals? Do I need to access the back-side of the board with all the fuses?

I know the starter is OK, (replaced several of them..) I am able to connect a cable directly to the solenoid and "hot-wire" it. (That's how I've been getting around..) Also I've inserted a relay between the solenoid and the control wire, because that was another possible solution. (Doesn't seem to matter)

Jamie

Reply to
Average_Joe

terminals 36-38 jumper connects to term 50 on the starter thru the large red/black wire, and also powers the cold start valve during cranking.

Reply to
northwind

Thanks!

Can you tell me where this is? (On the front or back of the fuse box?, I mean, do I have to tear the fuse box out to get at it from the back side or?)

Thanks!

Jamie

Reply to
Average_Joe

note # 8.

Reply to
northwind

Thanks!

Will have a look next time I get the chance.

*very much* appreciated. Thank you!

Jamie

Reply to
Average_Joe