VW Golf GTi 2.0 8 Valve

Hi, Just a quick question, about a gearbox. Why would a gearbox be hard to get into 1st and 2nd gear, when the engine and gearbox is cold, but within a few miles of a journey, its as smooth as as silk ?

Thanks :-)

Reply to
VW Internet

PS. Its a mark 3 1994, new clutch fitted, gearbox oil replaced.

Reply to
VW Internet

Kind of normal. Use RedLine oil and it gets better.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Hi Eduardo, I believe the link that joins the gear stick to the gearbox was cleaned, and it greatly improved it. Do you thinks the gearbox is ok ?

Thanks

Reply to
VW Internet

Yep. Every year I read the same threads about hard to shift when cold. Mostly around January/February :)

Redline oil seems to improve the cold shifting a lot. I would not really know... where I live, 32F is as cold as it ever gets, and thats only a couple of weeks a year.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Eduardo, Are u in spain?

Reply to
VW Internet

Nopes. Santiago de Chile :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.

I used to have a British Leyland Maestro with a VW gearbox that was really horrible on gearchanges when cold but improved considerably when warm, though it never became slick. I have a Golf and a Polo with similar gearboxes and of similar ages to each other. The Polo change is beautiful, slick and easy, with the Golf always sticky and hesitant to engage. These situations have not markedly changed all the time I owned/ have owned any of the vehicles, with increasing mileage seemingly irrelevant to these aspects.

Possible differences are manufacturing differences in tolerances box to box. Differences in the linkages making the boxes feel different. Differences in oil viscosity/ type box to box.

You may find there is a slight difference made in the "feel" of the box by using different oil. You may also find a difference in the longevity of the box if you move away from the declared specification for the oil.

As you do not mention any clashing of the gears when engaging them I assume we can discount clutch drag caused by oil deposit on the plates. If this is the case then my advice is to grin and bear it. Nothing I tried has made a h'apporth of difference to the state of play, but if you want to play around and experiment...................

Regards

Pilgarlick

Reply to
Pilgarlick

Pilgarlick Hi, The gears dont clash or clunk. I was looking at the redline oil that was suggested, and might buy some and try it. I will need someone to drain the existing oil, and then replace it with the redline. The new oil was replaced 3 weeks ago..

Thanks

Reply to
VW Internet

Maybe they used too heavy oil?

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Eduardo Dunno, maybe i should find out what oil has been put into the gearbox now.

It cost £12.00 a bottle, so i dont know how many litres a gearbox needs, , to work out how good the quality is.

Reply to
VW Internet

2.5 liters...
Reply to
Eduardo K.

Ok, i will find out. The weather over here is so cold, and the engine takes a while to warm up in the morning. So it sounds like that oil is a very good synthetic oil.

Reply to
VW Internet

Had the same problem ('89 Golf 020 gbox). I drained about half a liter of oil and no more problems.. Maybe i had put in too much oil... Some say just add a little auto transmission fluid to fix it.

SFC

"VW Internet" schreef in bericht news:hoKif.6731$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
SFC

Ok Did it seem to run a lot smoother after you added the fluid?

Reply to
VW Internet

I didn't add anything just drained about half a liter. The tip about the atf fluid was given by a good mechanic but i never tried it.

SFC

"VW Internet" schreef in bericht news:O8Ijf.11388$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
SFC