VW Golf speedometer and odometer problem

I have a 95 Golf III City in which the speedometer and odometer are working from time to time. Any advice at where the failure typically occurs or how hard a job it is to fix?

Thank you, Adrian

Reply to
Adrian
1- automatic trans may be drive gear inside trans 2- instrument cluster 3- speed sender on differential 4- wiring I have seen them all
Reply to
Woodchuck

Thank you for your responses. This weekend I've been with the car to a VW dealer where they diagnosed the car. The diagnose was: relay on instrument cluster faulty, or something like this. They said that I have to change the entire cluster, that will cost me

640$ + tax + labor. Do you know where that relay is, if I can change only the relay, or is anything else that I can do so I don't have to replace the entire cluster?

Thank you, Adrian

Reply to
Adrian