VW Jetta advice needed

I'm looking at getting a Vlks Jetta (94-97) range for daily city commute. My main question is mileage. Is there a way to know if odometer has been turned back? Someone mentioned its impossible to turn back if its a diesel. 2nd, how long can these run before it dies? My neighbor has a 88 Jetta and its still running strong at 400k km. Any problems I should anticipate? Any recommendations or advice to offer/suggest?

tia

drryder

Reply to
drryder

The A3 chassis cars are not as durable as the A2 chassis (i.e. your friend's '88). That being said, the A3 cars are really solid, easy to work on, and inexpensive to maintain. They also have TONS of cargo room for such a small car!

It's pretty unlikely that mileage has been turned back on an A3, as they do have the digital system rather than the more simplistic analog system of earlier cars.

If it's been taken care of, you should easily see 200K before anything really major goes out on you.

Good luck!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Talk