VW Mk3 Golf central locking pump staying on

Hi

I have a VW Golf GTI 2.0 (MK3 - 96)

Problem I have is that the central locking pump in the boot is staying on for hours sometimes all night (you can hear it whirring away) and its draining my battery.

Do you think the pump needs replacing? or do you think it could be a problem with the vacuum hoses (split / loose connection) making it work extra hard?

All help would be appreciated!

Many Thanks

Tara

Reply to
tazzag

Does it keep going even after you disconnect and reconnect the power?

What if you pinch off or plug the vacuum port on the pump? What happens? Can you operate the locks using a hand pump? (I'm not sure this is possible, but I'd try it)

Some explanations of how it works...

There is a time out switch that should turn the pump off after about 30 seconds. Obviously that's busted.

There's also a switch that turns the pump off after it detects it's sucked down all the locks. I THINK that would be a vacuum operated switch in the pump, not a mechanical switch at the door latches. I think so because unless my memory is hosed the pump will run even if all the locks are down. So the mechanical switches would show 'locked', but the pump will run for a second anyway until it senses enough vacuum.

Either that switch is also busted, and/or you have a vacuum leak.

I don't know if the two shutoff functions are linked, but it's conceivable. That would mean repairing or replacing the pump if you want it to work.

Please let us know what your further testing shows.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol