What do I do with a beat up but drivable jetta?

I have an '88 Jetta with approximately 125K miles. It looks like hell. Serious body damage (but no rust). Faded paint. Back seat has a nasty rip. Nonetheless, it is perfectly drivable. It has been in roughly the same condition for the last three years and I'm still driving it. At this writing, I have yet to collect the "new" car from the dealer.

So what should I do with the old car? By standard metrics it doesn't really have any value yet it is a functional vehicle that passes smog. Is there any hope of preventing an awful waste?

Reply to
Eric Edwards

Does your car have a manual transmission? If so, retain the transmission but remove all of the other ICE (internal combustion engine) equipment such as the engine, radiator, exhaust, and fuel tank. Then clean off all of the grease and other crud from the engine compartment, repair the body damage, and fix the back seat. Finally, convert the car to an Electric Vehicle (EV).

Basically you will need an electric motor for propulsion, a battery pack, and a controller. For details, go to

With an EV, your contribution to the contamination of our atmosphere will be significantly reduced because your EV will use no gasoline. With the proper motor and battery pack, an EV is capable of ranges exceeding 50 miles and are capable of freeway speeds. Studies have shown that, on average, people use their vehicles for local errands 90% of the time, and that is where an EV shines. Reserve your ICE vehicle for the 10% of the time it is really needed.

Reply to
Papa

Stop fast, and hope you get hit in the rear. Collect insurance money and party.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
Peter Parker

Eric, you can also try

forums and sell it there.That's free.

Reply to
Peter Parker

It really boils down to: Can a car like this be sold and should it be?

What do salvage yards pay for working vehicles? Maybe the thing to do an ad on Craigs List and a price of salvage + some delta. I'm not looking for significant revenue from this transaction.

Reply to
Eric Edwards

In my location you can call one of the companies that do this and they will pay you about $50 to tow it away - or you can donate it to Goodwill,

Reply to
Papa

find someone locally that needs a car and sell it? give it to a school for teaching?

Reply to
Eduardo K.

125k is nothing for a VW. If you just need transportation keep driving the car : it seems to take you where you want to go. If ego is involved in your decision, ask yourself why you are asking us. In the meantime, keep driving your car. It is fine.
Reply to
Bob

Whoa, I had no idea that electric energy is produced by looking at a wall outlet and wishing really hard.

Reply to
René

"With an EV, your contribution to the contamination of our atmosphere will be significantly reduced because your EV will use no gasoline."

So all the pollution billowing from that coal-fired electrical power plant isn't harmful to the environment? Cool!

Seriously, though. If you aren't vain about your ride, fix the mechanicals when they break and drive your Jetta forever. Or sell it on VWVortex if your friends start making too much fun of you. ;)

Reply to
tylernt

Reply to
none2u

To be REALLY serious, just look it up. The fact is, fossil-fueled vehicles produce hundreds of times more contamination to our atmosphere than all of the coal-fired power plants combined. It is not a trivial situation.

Reply to
Papa

Become informed. Look up the facts instead of taking on the popular, but erroneous, attitude.

Reply to
Papa

Exactly. My '88 Cabbie has 270,000 miles on it and still runs great.

Reply to
Papa

In other words, discard most of what still works well and keep the parts that are bad?

Interesting solution for a car with a good body, good interior, and bad engine. A bit silly for this one.

I'm not most people. I do many local errands on foot, on bicycle, and on skates. The rest I combine with longer trips.

Electric cars mostly allow people to reduce the local impact of car trips that are better not done.

Reply to
Eric Edwards

Hey Buddy - don't be a jerk - you asked for comments - now you are knocking the comments you asked for. plonk !!

Reply to
Papa

What's erroneous about it? Are you seriously suggesting that EVs produce no pollution? Especially here in America where a lot of electricity is produced by coal-fired plants that release more radiation into the environment than nuclear plants?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

But the more EVs appear on the road, the more power plants we'll need to build.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I'm sure he's *heartbroken*.