What is the best VW?

Well, let me qualify this a little better. What is the best year for the VW for the least problems (as far as complaints on the NHTSA website) AND owner satisfaction? Also, it needs to be NO older than

15 years old AND have an automatic transmission (because of a disabled driver).

ALL comments are appreciated.

Reply to
tbober

Best VW, one that someone else pays for. That said, newer the better, especially when considering Passat's.

Reply to
Woodchuck

So, from 1990 to today? I don't know about the number of complaints, but make mine a Passat W8. ;-) (I'd pick the R32 but I don't think it came with an automatic.)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

tbober" wrote

You can't compare to comfort, A/C heater etc, smoothness, looks and speed to today's VWs but I can tell you I bought a brand new 74 SuperBeetle air cooled and NEVER touched it other than changing oil and plugs, tune-ups in over 150,000 miles and ran just as well when I sold it as just about new. It was one of the few vehicles on record temp days on desert highways that never overheated and was like a tank in snow. Never failed to start instantly. It was metallic green with a sunroof. I think they were selling Sunbugs back then for around 2300 and the entry Beetle for 1995 when most cars were selling aroung 3500 to 4500. It was a budget car with big reliability.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

I have a 90 Jetta GL, I have just close to 300,000 on it all I have done so far is just regular maintanace

Reply to
Bob Peters

I like my '88 Cabbie Convertible. Nothing but pure pleasure cruising down the road in it, and fuel consumption is not bad at all. Love it!!

Reply to
Papa

I question what you regard as regular maintenance. On my 90 Jetta GL (150,000 miles), I've replaced:

Radiator Heater core Water pump Valve cover gasket (several times) Wheel bearings (all) CV joints & boots (many) Shocks (3 times) Springs Steering rack (twice!) Downpipe O2 sensor Catalytic converter Dash illumination (many times) Speedo cable Clutch cable A/C Compressor A/C Condenser Starter (several times) Electric window mechanisms (2) Power steering pump Fuel pump reservoir/casing Coolant flange (twice)

Reply to
John

Reply to
none2u

IMHO I wouldn't buy a VW with an autobox. Sorry. Heard of too many problems with them.

My personal favorite VW was my '84 Scirocco, that darn thing just kept running. Replaced the transaxle at about 200K miles with a junkyard Jetta trans because the output flange seal wouldn't hold (probably bearings worn out) but other than that regular maintenance and lots of abuse and no problems. I really like the A1s and early A2s. Also have somewhat of a bias toward the German built cars, but I had an '84 GTI (Westmoreland) and my mom still has an '86 Golf (also Westmoreland) that gave good service.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You've just ruled out the best VWs of all - the T25 Syncro 4WD's

Last made about 1992, in GSDP Graz, Austria, so fit that criteria...

Reply to
Clive