Broken cam belt in 1.9TDI

Hi,

Need some guidance, VW Sharan 1.9TDi Auto (MPV) made 1999, the cam belt suddenly snapped while driving on the motorway - obviously all power was lost. Before I get suckered by the local garage, does anyoneknow if the valves or pistons would have been damaged ? or is it just a simple cam belt replacement ?.

TIA

Reply to
David

Here in the USA TDI's damage the cylinder head so replacement is required. Not sure on the pistons, but how many miles did you get out of the T-belt?

Reply to
Woodchuck

It won't be good I fear. No way of telling till the head comes off at which point the rest of the motor might well be following it out of the car.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

A friend had this happen to him, 2 crushed valves, 1 bent valve, 1 replacement piston, new head, new cam gear and various other goodies... Chances are you're in for a long expensive ride.

Reply to
Warren Abrey