What's this part?

I'm just putting this out there out of curiosity. I found a large block bolted to the underside of my 89 golf just behind the engine. It doesn't appear to have any purpose that I can see it measures about 5x2x2. Does anyone have any idea what this is?

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

vibration damper/tuner

Reply to
Alec

okay, so why is it there? What is the purpose of it's vibration damping/ tuning? I don't think it was bolted to the engine, if I recall it was bolted to te unibody, but I could be wrong.

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

Does it make a ticking sound? if yes, get the hell away from that car ;-) No seriously, I don't know what part it is. Where exactly is it mounted? Can you by any chance make a picture of it and put it on some webserver?

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

it's a vibration damper. my '91 has it too. I never ran the car w/o it but it just unbolts from the subframe. shouldn't hurt to remove it but VW somehow thought it was needed for a quieter/smoother ride or something.

Reply to
Matt B.