Will Chrysler make VW vans ?

Heard rumor that Chrysler will produce a VW mini van based on the Dodge Caravan, Anyone else hear this ? What do you think ?

Reply to
chrisandbecky

Yes, I read it on the Eurovan news group. The VW version will have VW power train even a TDI diesel option and different trim. This is not a uncommon thing as VW and DB jointly developed the "Sprinter" that VW sells as the "LT". VW and Ford used to jointly make a van called the "Sharon". The current rumor indicates that DB/C is going to build a NEW plant to build a NEW (not the current caravan) mini van and VW is going to help share the cost saving both companies money.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Yep I've heard mulpile reports of the same rumor as well.

Somehow I think between the T5 van, Sharan, Touran, and the axed Microbus project, etc. VW never really could figure out what it thought the right MPV for the US would be. They farted around too long as we're now into the 3rd year of VW not having a van in their lineup in the US and have resorted to partnering with Chrysler on the next one.

Reply to
Matt B.

If VW really wants to get into the van market, they are going to have to bite the bullet and do what they did with the new Bug, and go back to the styling cues and look of the classic old-school punch pickle/hippie love van. I remember when they came out witht he Vanagon(?) inthe 1980s and it hasn't been the same since. A retro punch pickle would really make noise and get them that buzz going (No comment on the buzz going for the people in those old school hippie vans.) Just have a fog machine on the commercial, and your spokespeople being Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong, and you are set.

Reply to
David E. Powell

It wouldn't be the 1st time Chrysler had a deal with VW. Back during the 70s, they used VW engines in the Dodge Omni. Maybe Chrysler is onto something here. Remember the original funky Dodge vans of the 60s, with the SPLIT windshields ? When split windshields were mostly out of style, VW and Dodge decided to keep them on their vans through much of the 60s.

Reply to
chrisandbecky

VW tried that with the microbus and fuked it up big time. there was maybe a slight hint of retro in it but it looked more retro-wtf? instead of retro-VW. (It did look retro in some way but not necessarily like a VW). Somehow they managed a design that wasn't cost-effective either so it was axed.

Retro designs are also iffy long-term. They're great for a year or two and then the sizzle wears off.

The Chrysler deal will at least get some sort of MPV into VW dealers in North America but it won't be a *real* VW van that VW van aficionados would want. It's going to be a "me too" minivan for VW to get a small bite of a segment they have no bite at all in. too bad...VW farted around since 1990 on this. The Eurovan was decent but VW never got it correctly equipped and marketed for North America. They botched the Microbus. And then they shot themselves in the foot by making a deal with Ford to not sell the Sharan here in the US. Tsk tsk.

Reply to
Matt B.

But it will be the car the americans really want. Chrysler will make sure no window clips break, there will be enough cupholders, the car will be comfortable for the average american body and there will be good dealership network, as you probably will be able to service the car at the nearest friendly chrysler dealership.

Somehow, I get the impression, that the average american expects from the car something quite different as the usual european. The customer "value system" is just different.

Of course, VAG gets routinely bashed on the boths sides of the pond, but for completely different reasons. For example, the failed coilpack or broken window clip will bring the usual american customer to the edge of hysteria. And will leave the european customer totally unimpressed. Of course, he will be not amused too, but if you ask "what do you hate about your car", you will not hear these things (but something completely different).

And this works both ways. A good example is Opel/Vauxhall, which belongs to GM, and is steady losing customers when american managers got directly involved (search for Opel and Mr. Lopez). In contrast, the european Ford makes it's own decisions and does considerably better than Opel (both companies play in the same market segment).

Japanese realised this and are now acting accordingly. They develop american cars for america and european cars for europe. Thats why Toyota Corolla for the USA is something completely different from Toyota Corolla for the Europe. Without badges its even difficult to tell if those two cars are from the same manufacturer.

It depends. Who knows, maybe this deal with ford had made the commercial sense. Its allways a question how much you gain by giving something up.

Reply to
draugaz

I wouldn't be so sure about that quality thing. I've known some people with Chryslers that have had nothing but trouble, particularly engine problems with LH-platform cars.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith