Windshield replacement 85 Scirrocco

Being a perfectionist, and the original owner of a 1985 Scirrocco, I thought it might be a good time to replace my windshield. It's not too bad, only a 6" crack at lower passenger corner and 19 years and 180K miles of use. But, I thought I would do this while a new windshield is (hopefully) still available. I hope that someone can help me with a few questions:

Safelite is trying to find a new windshied for me without the tint strip: Should I try somewhere else for better quality and/or supply?

Is it glue in? If so, should I take it to shop rather than have the mobile guy do it? Also, should I buy a new windshied gasket at $210 from the dealer?

Should I leave well enough alone?? This car has never been in a body shop and I don't want to cause new problems trying to fix a minor defect. >Of course my wife would say sell the **** thing :).

Reply to
KenB

Safelite found one, don't know where, but not in Atlanta. Tech said it is made by same company that makes VW's Sekurit.

Not a glue in, just the gasket. My gasket was fine. Was told it is often better to reuse old gasket if it is in good shape (it fits better).

Tech did a good job. Now hope I don't promptly go run into a stone.

Reply to
KenB