wiring a VW mk2 golf

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 1985 golf. The guy who i bought it from, swaped the mk2 dash for a mk3, he left the original mk2 cluster in it.

My problem is he either did not hook up the signals or he hooked them up wrong. Also the break lights keep blowing fuses. The running lights work and so do the head lights.

I know very little about cars and so i bought a bently manual, but the diagrams just have me lost.

Please help!!!

Reply to
sclayfield

The brake lights are the turn signal lights. I'd start by looking at the bulb sockets for something shorting to ground , thus popping the fuse. You can install a bulb ( say 30 watt ) in place of the fuse while you're working on finding the short. The bulb will light till you find and remove the short. Your golf doesn't have a trailer hitch plug does it? < common failure

Reply to
samstone

The brake lights are the turn signal lights

incorrect!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

cheers

Reply to
samstone

what?!?! no. '85 Golfs have brake and turn signal lights that are separate.

Reply to
Matt B.