Woodchuck - one more time..

Hey Woodchuck,

You have helped me in the past with advise on replacing radiator cooling fans, perhaps a bit more help / advise??

Our break light switch has been diagnosed as bad / needing replacement. This is the 2nd time in 2 years, and VW will not help with the repair.. amazing to me they wont as it would be a real show of good faith in their product, but anyway, I can get the part for $9 - but can't seem to find the location in my aftermarket repair book. I assume it's attached to the break lever somewhere under the dash ? VW wants about $100 to fix, don't think I want to pay that for something this simple. Can you tell me where it's located?

2001 VR6

Symptoms: SOMETIMES, and not lately, the car is hard to get out of park when you push the break to release the solenoid allowing the shifter to work (automatic). Most of the time it works w/no problem, but after taking the car to our VW dealer for the window regulator fix last week, then told me it was defective and should be replaced.

Thanks for the help.. (I have not looked under the drivers side yet.. so if it's that simple to see / replace, sorry for the request).

Scott

Reply to
Scott C

E-mail me, got a picture. As for the switch just save your receipt as you may get a refund if the WT is expanded from the NB! As for getting out of PARK make sure the indicator light goes out. If it does and the car still will not come out of park then it's not the brake switch. I have seen several that the shifter lock solenoid sticks... especially when it's cold outside!

Reply to
Woodchuck

You got pictures!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks, the part is on order, $9.. replacement should take You got pictures!

Reply to
Scott C

Warranty time is .4 hour so don't expect to pay more than .6 hour labor. At least at our place! How much is the labor rate at your VW shop? But then again you should have no problem replacing the switch yourself. I will pass the directions along.

Reply to
Woodchuck