1995 C1500 check guages

Does anyone have any Idea what could cause an intermitent problem, sometimes , just sometimes when the truck or outside temp is down the speedometer and tach quit working and a check guages light comes on,
also when this happens the light on the steering colum showing the gear it's in goes stops working. I did recently replace the cable for the shifter and didnt have it in neutral when I conected it so it doesent go into low 1, however it does shift thru all the gears. the gartage said the cable wouldnt have anything to do with the problem though..
Poser3D wrote:

Sounds similar to the problem I had with my 95 K1500. I had a broken connector in the ignition switch wiring harness. The connector broke due to years of flexing the tilt steering wheel. Try to generate this issue by running the engine & tilting the wheel. This is assuming you have tilt wheel of course...
Poser3D wrote:

I have a similar problem in my '90 k1500. The speedometer dial randomly drops off to 0 and after it runs like that for a few minutes i get the Check Engine light, which stays lit, doesn't blink. If i smack the top of the dash the dial usually pops right back up and the light soon goes off as long as it doesn't drop off again. I had removed the gauge cluster and cleaned the connection but it still happens. I think I'm gonna have to open up the cluster and see if theres a loose connection there. I'm not sure exactly whats happening but if I'm not watching the speedo and the dial drops, I know its happened because I can actually feel it when I'm driving, it's like the gas pedal let up just a tad. Still drives ok but something doesn't feel right. Like the computer goes into some other mode.