1998 Blazer Parking brake ratchet

Hi all, I have a 1998 Blazer that I bought new in Dec 1997. Around Jan 2001 the foot parking brake ratchet broke. The dealer replaced it back then. Now
the other day it broke again. I only use it to hold the truck from rolling when the motor running ( It's a 5 speed transmission) that might be once a week or so. Has anyone else having a problem like this? I have a 1970 Camaro that I have owned since 1972 and I have never had a problem with the parking brake to this date. What's involved to change it out myself? Any comments, or word of wisdom? Thanks. for reading my post. Big Duke