2002 S-10 4.3 - one lifter tapping on startup - WTF?

Engine has done it since day one.
Now at 31k miles, it's not any worse or better. Fairly quiet on the initial cold start, no noise under normal operation, but one lifter clacks
like hell after the engine has been fully warmed-up then restarted after a 15 minute hot soak. It suddenly gets quiet after 30-45 seconds of operation.
No lash adjustment on this engine? What were they thinking?
The dealer techs are deaf, apparently. Either that, or myself and the prospective S-10 buyers who turn up their nose at my truck all have very acute hearing!
I've got a few months of warranty left to duke this out.
RM
Well you have it documeted now so when it's out of warrenty and it's still not fixed, GM should be liable to get it right.
--
Mark
< snipped-for-privacy@excite.calm> wrote in message

>snip< Hi, Richard. I know some on here might flame this suggestion; under the same token, some who have used it will agree; I respect both opinions. I personally know how well it performs, having used it for ~35 years. If, and I say if, you have ONE lifter that is varnished up or maybe even 'sluggish' for whatever reason, and that's what it sounds like: many times it can be corrected by using a can of Marvel Mystery Oil. IIRC, last I bought was at AutoZone or Advance A/P. You may even try one-half a can first. Honestly I have driven cars (not hundreds, mind you, but definitely more than a mere handful) to the parts house, with a lifter clicking, and poured a can into the crankcase of the running engine, while in their yard, and listened as the lifter quieted down to the performance of the others. It will NOT help if the lifter merely needs adjusting or is otherwise sufficiently defective. Never had to use a second can to "keep them running quiet". After the next oil changes, they continued running quietly. I hope this helps, and good luck. Ditto on non-adjustable lifters! s
BTW: We've noticed on newer GM trucks with the v-8's that they will actually knock--like in crankshaft knock--when started back up, hot, after a 15-minute resting. AND, we've seen them still knocking at well over 100k on the odom. And, no, the M-M-Oil won't help that!

Could this have anything to do with the fact that many manufacturers now recommend 5w-30 oil to be used, instead of good ol' 10w-40?
--
Paul
'91 XL1200
snipped-for-privacy@excite.calm wrote:

Bad lifter. Slightly out of tolerance, leaks down, doesn't re-seal quickly enough on startup, blocked by a bit of grit... who knows.

That hydraulic lifters, when properly working, don't need any lash adjustment. Just like millions of other hydraulic lifter engines.

You must be using piss-poor oil filters, the cheapo ones (like the Fram's) have poor anti-drainback valves, and when the engine is hot and you shut it down, the oil all runs back into the pan. Try a Purolator and see if the problem goes away.
Ted
anyone ever use diesel fuel as engine flush before changing oil? Someone told me to try it. I use engine flush on every oil change. He's a farmer and uses diesel fuel to flush every engine he owns before an oil change. Just curious. Btw, my S-10 has a pinging and knocking too, but I think its just piston slap, it sounds just like a 6 Liter when you first start it till it warms up.

KU wrote:

IMO, it's a good way to destroy an engine. As long as you change oil regularly, there should be no need for any sort of flush... waste of time an money not to mention contributing to excessive engine wear and clogging up oil passages.
Yes, cleaning stuff is bad. That's why I never clean my underwear. The skid marks in my shorts add to the longevity. You shouldn't clean .22 rifles either, it will destroy the accuracy.
GMC Gremlin

and
Just
just
it

Don't clean your black powder guns either, otherwise you'll miss that cool "potholed road" effect you'll get in the barrel.
--
TeGGeR

And make sure to never wipe a gun down with oil... acid-etched finger marks are a good thing.
GMC Gremlin

Cleaning really dirty stuff *too fast* is bad...
now if the engine looks clean inside (pull a valve cover) go for it, but if it's all sludgy and nasty you are rolling the dice with an engine flush... take it easy with the harsh stuff... maybe try switching to a high detergent oil like Rotella or something instead of the flush
nate
GMC Gremlin wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
"Nate Nagel3" wrote: > Cleaning really dirty stuff *too fast* is bad... > > now if the engine looks clean inside (pull a valve cover) go > for it, but > if it's all sludgy and nasty you are rolling the dice with an > engine > flush... take it easy with the harsh stuff... maybe try > switching to a > high detergent oil like Rotella or something instead of the > flush > > nate > > GMC Gremlin wrote: > > > Yes, cleaning stuff is bad. That's why I never clean my > underwear. The skid > > marks in my shorts add to the longevity. > > You shouldn't clean .22 rifles either, it will destroy the > accuracy. > > > > GMC Gremlin > > > > " Paul " &lt;"stayp"@notsuoh .rr.moc&gt; wrote in message > > > > > &nbsp;>>KU wrote: > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>anyone ever use diesel fuel as engine flush > before changing oil? Someone > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>told me to try it. I use engine flush on every > oil change. He's a farmer > > > > and > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>uses diesel fuel to flush every engine he owns > before an oil change. > > > > Just > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>curious. Btw, my S-10 has a pinging and > knocking too, but I think its > > > > just > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>piston slap, it sounds just like a 6 Liter when > you first start it till > > > > it > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>warms up. > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>>IMO, it's a good way to destroy an engine. > &nbsp;>>As long as you change oil regularly, there should be > no need for > &nbsp;>>any sort of flush... waste of time an money not to > mention > &nbsp;>>contributing to excessive engine wear and clogging up > oil passages. > > > > > > > > > -- > replace "fly" with "com" to reply. > http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
I also have a 2002 chevy S-10 W/ 4.3. I work for an Electrical Contrator that purchase hundreds of S-1OS & Astro Vans. The only problem we here regarding these Vehicals are the brakes ( front ). The GM factory brakes and rotors seem to be of low quality. As far as the 4.3 its Bullet-proof.
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Over the three years that I've owned the truck, I've run Purolator, AC Delco, Fram, and Autozone's Proline. No difference in behavior with these filters, and they've all been completely full of oil when it comes time to change the oil.
RM